Hardin County Domestic Relations Court

The Domestic Relations Division of the Hardin County Common Pleas Court is located on the Second Floor of the Hardin County Courthouse in Kenton, Ohio. The information provided within this website is designated to assist you and offer information on the type of cases heard by this Court.

The Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division, was created by the Legislature in Ohio Revised Code Section 2301.03(FF)(1), with a new judgeship beginning on January 1, 2023.

Although there is a court of common pleas in each of Ohio's 88 counties, Hardin County is a unique court because all family law cases, except for adoptions and guardianships, are heard in this court.

Hardin County Court House

The Hardin County Domestic Relations Court hears cases involving persons under 18 years of age for:

  • Being an unruly child (truant, tobacco use, curfew)
  • Felony and misdemeanor offenses (delinquent child) (+)
    • Hardin County Domestic Relations Court has jurisdiction over juveniles alleged to be delinquent or unruly. When a juvenile is found to be delinquent or unruly, the Court has jurisdiction to issue orders on the juvenile and the juvenile’s parents or legal custodian. All parties to the case, including the juvenile and the juvenile's parents or legal custodian, are entitled to court-appointed counsel if they are indigent. For information on making an application for appointed counsel, you can contact the Court at 419-674-2233.
    • Depending on the individual case, consequences for delinquent behavior may include probation, curfew, electronic monitoring, house arrest, drug testing, counseling, or placement of the child outside the child’s home. In addition, the Court can order detention, fines, driver's license suspension, and/or community service. The Court can also order counseling and/or substance abuse treatment for the child or parents, when appropriate. For cases where the crime involved would be a felony if committed by an adult, the child can be placed in a residential facility or at the Department of Youth Services, which is the prison system for children.
    • Definitions of "delinquent child" and "unruly child" are:
    • Delinquency: The allegation that a minor (a person under the age of 18) has committed an act that would constitute a crime if the act was committed by an adult. (Ex: Theft, Prohibition).
    • Unruly: A juvenile is said to be "unruly" when he or she will not follow the rules of home, school, or community and as a result, is subjected to penalties imposed by the Court.
  • An abused, dependent, and neglected child
  • Traffic violations (+)
    • The Hardin County Domestic Relations Court has exclusive jurisdiction to hear all cases of juveniles issued a traffic citation in Hardin County as well as Juveniles who reside in Hardin County. Juveniles MUST appear in Court with a parent or guardian. The Domestic Relations Court possesses fairly broad discretion regarding dispositional alternatives for juvenile traffic offenders. Traditional sanctions range from the imposition of fines and costs to court-imposed license suspensions of various types.
  • Educational neglect
  • Family Dependency Treatment Court (+)
    • The mission of the Hardin County Family Dependency Treatment Court is to provide collaborative evaluation and treatment services for substance abusing parents who have lost, or are at risk of losing, custody of their child due to abuse, neglect, or dependency. These intensive services will be provided with the expectation that parents will attain sobriety in order to expedite reunification with their child. The Family Dependency Treatment Court is designed to provide parents with an opportunity to become abstinent from drugs and alcohol and live a healthier lifestyle for their child.

The Domestic Relations Court hears cases involving persons over 18 years of age for:

  • Divorces, dissolutions, annulments, and legal separations
  • Reallocations of parental rights, post decree filings
  • Child Support
  • Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
  • Please note that if the petition being filed is against a person (the respondent) who is over the age of 18 years, then the petition should be filed at the Hardin County Clerk of Courts on the 3rd floor of the Hardin County Courthouse.
You may have many other questions regarding civil protection orders and your rights. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO SPEAK WITH AN ATTORNEY-AT-LAW.

The Domestic Relations Court hears all requests for Civil protection orders (CPO)

  • Domestic Violence
  • Stalking
  • Sexually oriented offenses
  • Juvenile civil protection orders
  • You must decide if a CPO petition fits your circumstances, and you are responsible for completing the petition. Once the petition is completed and signed, take it to the Hardin County Domestic Relations Court and await instructions. Normally if time permits, an ex-parte hearing is held immediately, or an expedited hearing date is given. Other hearings will be scheduled once the ex-parte hearing is completed.
  • Consult the forms available from the Ohio Supreme Court

Legal Holidays are per the Hardin County Handbook: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day and the Friday after, and Christmas Day.
**Note: If the above holiday falls on a Saturday, the Court will be closed the Friday before the holiday. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, the Court will be closed the Monday after the holiday.


8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Closed on Legal Holidays *
* Per Hardin County Handbook


One Courthouse Square
Suite 210
Kenton, Ohio 43326


Phone: (419) 674-2233
Fax: (419) 675-2941